On our birthdays at work we always bring cake in for our department, which has always felt like an odd tradition to me but I guess it makes it easier than having to remember someone else’s birthday..!
This year I don’t have a functional oven so decided to go for a cheesecake but didn’t really fancy any of the recipes I saw. So instead I took ideas from a few different recipes and created my own, a ginger and pear cheesecake. Please excuse the dubious photos – I didn’t think I’d want to blog it until after I’d had the first slice and fell in love with it! I’ve genuinely never had as many compliments about a recipe.
- 200g ginger biscuits (Sainsbury’s ginger Crinkle Crunch biscuits are perfect)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 400g full-fat soft cheese
- 50g icing sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- 50g crystallised ginger pieces (and extra for decoration)
- 1 tin of pear halves (approx 400g)
- Crush biscuits into fine crumbs either in a food processor or plastic bag. Smallish chunks work too if you get bored of hitting a bag with a rolling pin! Gently melt the butter and mix into the biscuit crumbs. Press this mixture into the bottom of a 20cm loose-bottomed round cake tin / spring-form tin / divide between about 6-8 ramekins. Put this in the fridge whilst you make the topping.
- Keeping back the pear halves, put the rest of the ingredients into a bowl. Whisk or food-processor-it-up until smooth and well blended. Spread the mixture over the biscuit base and smooth to a flat top.
- Drain the pear halves really well, you may want to blot lightly with kitchen towel. Starting in the middle of the cake arrange the halves in circular patterns to look pretty. Sprinkle a few crystallised ginger pieces over the top, or place in the gaps between the pears. You could even mix together a pinch of ginger and icing sugar and dust this over the top to add colour.
This is one of the quickest and easiest recipes I’ve ever made yet also one I’ve had the most compliments on! Well worth a try next time you need to take a dessert somewhere and really can’t be bothered 😉 Do let me know if you give it a go.