I thought it would be fun for you to get to know a little more about me, so here are 50 things about me:
1. I’m 26.
2. My actual name is Florinda but I’ve been called Fleur my entire life.
3. My middle name is Abigail which I find terribly dull compared to my first name!
4. Apart from 3 and a half years in Manchester I’ve always lived in Hampshire.
5. I love bright colours, in case you hadn’t noticed. I blame my mum🙂
6. I love singing and join in with the choir at the school I work in. Luckily the kids seem to like me joining them rather than finding it weird.
7. I’m a pescatarian, I would be a veggie but I’m not quite ready to give up sushi yet and yes I am aware of how entitled that sounds.
8. My favourite films are the Lord of the Rings extended editions.
9. My favourite colour is pink.
10. My current favourite band is Walk off the Earth in particular this song.
11. I LOVE cats – I’m basically a crazy cat lady without a cat. Luckily there are always cats sat on the cars on our road.
12. I’m an only child from a single parent family. It’s been awesome.
13. However, I’ve met way too many people who’ve tried to bond with me by telling me their parents are about to get / are in the middle of a divorce. The first was when I was 8 and my parents were mid divorce… It’s such horrible thing to lie about.
14. I have a degree in Physics from The University of Manchester which is the hardest thing I’ve ever completed.
15. I’m currently just over a month away from completing my masters in Earth Science with the Open University. Which will become the hardest thing I’ve ever completed.
16. I used to be a ridiculous overachiever. In my GCSEs I got a B in ICT in Year 9 (2 years early) and only found out about the exam on the day – I spent the entire exam stressing because it overran the school day and I knew my mum would be worried sick when I didn’t get home on time!
17. Then during my actual GCSE year I got 7A*’s and 3A’s and I’m still sad about those A’s because I know I should have got my A*… Feel free to hate me😛
18. Not only that I then went on to college and got AAAAC in my A levels of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, General Studies and Further Maths respectively.
19. I’m also the kind of person who counts general studies because as a pure scientist I shouldn’t be able to essay well enough to get that A!
20. Alongside that I also got 4 separate AS levels with grades ABCD (lol) in Physics Extended Project, Biology, Critical Thinking and ICT.
21. Having said this, when I left school all I wanted to do was go and take qualifications in makeup. I was so glad to be able to take some part time courses in between modules for my masters
22. I’m hoping to be able to take a few more courses in makeup after my masters. I love makeup SO much and reading books/blogs/watching YouTube is awesome but I love learning in person – it’s so inspiring.
23. I currently work full-time as a science technician in a secondary school. It’s an amazing job but way too easy for me now I’ve done it for 4 and a half years.
24. My dream is to have a job where I can have fantasy hair and wear bold makeup.
25. When I was 20 I went on an expedition to Svalbard for 5 weeks; camping, kayaking, hiking, carrying out titrations on glaciers… It was the best five weeks of my life.
26. I also came so close to dying on that expedition because I got really bad seasickness. Long story but I got blackout hypothermia, in a kayak, in the Arctic ocean about 10km from land…
27. For the longest time I wanted to work in Antarctica with the British Antarctic Survey. The fact that it’s the worst sea crossing in the world kind of eventually put me off that idea!
28. Just over a year ago I bought a house with my boyfriend *squee*
29. The house is on the end of a super cute Victorian terrace and has a garden that makes me think of the book The Secret Garden.
30. What I didn’t realise would be so hard is saving up for home improvements and trying to decide what to do first! It’s a steep learning curve.
31. On a less awesome note I have depression and occasional anxiety which is really holding me back.
32. I’ve just come off my main antidepressants though and am so happy and grateful to be stable at the moment. The ‘antidepressants’ I’m still on aren’t prescribed as such, they’re to help with sleep.
33. I get the most insane, super real feeling dreams. They used to all be nightmares but I think my drugs help with that. I’m basically Phoebe from Friends though, my dreams do affect my real life and I get annoyed with people about things that happened in them!
34. I also have severe acid reflux which is potentially related to my issues with mental health – kind of like IBS but the other way round is what my doctor suggested…
35. Back to some awesome. I love sewing and want to learn to crochet this year.
36. I also love cycling and am obsessed with the Tour de France. Not so much other races yet but I’m getting caught up more and more for sure.
37. Next year I really want to take part in a 100 mile bike ride. This is my bf and I completing our first sportive on our road bikes.
38. I’m a complete bookworm, I had to have my library card extended when I was younger and even then I’d be borrowing on my mums card as well.
39. I also had several teachers write home because they didn’t think the book I was reading was appropriate for a primary school child.
40. I’m obsessed with the fantasy genre. Rarely the popular books though, Game of Thrones and Harry Potter might be classed as fantasy but they’re not my favourites.
41. David Eddings is probably my all time favourite author and I want to re-read all of his work again soon. The Redemption of Althalus will always stand out for me.
42. I’ve loved unicorns for as long as I can remember. In fact, I didn’t ever want to lose my virginity because I knew that according to ‘myths and legends’ I’d then never get to see one. Sadly hormones took over and it looks like I never will get to see that unicorn (lol).
43. More recently I became re-obsessed with mermaids having watched H2O: Just add water and now Mako Mermaids. These are definitely aimed at tweens but the fact they have really amazing quality mermaid tails makes it perfect. If you don’t already, go follow Mertailor on Instagram❤
44. I was also obsessed with The Little Mermaid as a child. The other year I even discovered that my mum sat down with a music tape recorder and recorded all the talking and music so I could listen to it in the car! How awesome is my mum?
45. This was mainly because we used to go to Ireland maybe three times a year to see our family, by car. Which is a 5hr journey before you even get to the ferry!
46. Luckily we started flying over when I was a bit older – and I realised last year that the thing that makes me feel Christmassy is being in an airport. Which is kind of messed up I guess? It’s just the one constant in all my Christmases till a few years ago.
47. When I was a teenager I wanted to be a pro-surfer. I used to buy so many surfing magazines, I went on surf-camp and I even bought a surfboard. Sadly the fact we don’t live near the sea became an issue, it was still a cool dream though.
48. The place I most want to visit in the world is Japan.
49. That used to be Egypt because I was absolutely fascinated by the Ancient Egyptians.
50. My favourite places in the world are Kew Gardens, Hampton Court Palace and St Davids in Wales.
Sorry this turned out to be SO long – in retrospect I definitely should have just found an ‘about me’ tag and filled that in! I hope you enjoyed learning a whole lot more about me though❤
xo Fleur xo